[wildfly-dev] Wildfly 9 BOM changes

Thomas Segismont tsegismo at redhat.com
Mon Jun 29 12:04:28 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

While working on upgrading Hawkular to Wildfly 9 CR2, we have noticed
that the Wildfly BOM now declares provided scope for some dependencies.

I guess the goal is to help users which forget to set the provided scope
in their POM to end up with all the libraries in their WAR.

On the other hand, if you use some libraries in your tests, then
dependency resolution can be broken. For example, if you add
org.jboss.resteasy::resteasy-client in test scope, your tests fail due
to a missing class from commons-io, because commons-io should be
resolved as a transitive dependency of
org.jboss.resteasy::resteasy-jaxrs, but it's now in scope provided,
instead of test.

Have you considered this use case? Are there other motivations than
helping Maven beginners?

Best regards,
Thomas