[wildfly-dev] Capabilities and Requirements - Common Definitions

Tomaž Cerar tomaz.cerar at gmail.com
Fri May 22 09:50:01 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Darran Lofthouse <
darran.lofthouse at jboss.com> wrote:

> The first option is to do it all by convention and have no shared
> constants, the down side of this is we now need to document this and
> keep the document maintained.  A document would also make it hard in the
> future to flag certain capabilities as deprecated if preferred
> alternatives are made available.
>
> Well, deprecated can be done on two levels, one is compile time, the other
runtime.
and at runtime it is easy to add feedback that certain capability is
deprecated.

> The second option would be to just define the Strings somewhere and use
> Javadoc to specify if the capability is dynamic and it's service type.
>
> That one sounds ok, but you still need central place with constants, even
if just for compile.

> The third option is defining the string and RuntimeCapability instances
> in a central place so they can both be referenced as needed.

I don't like this one at all, I know it was in initial design of
capabilities
and it was the single thing I disliked the most.

so IMO, either #1 or #2 is fine, but lest avoid #3 if possible.