[wildfly-dev] Using a custom module to preview "next-gen" Hibernate versions on WildFly 9

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu May 28 11:56:24 EDT 2015

> On May 28, 2015, at 10:42 AM, Scott Marlow <smarlow at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On 05/28/2015 10:29 AM, Steve Ebersole wrote:
>> I am just not sure a lot of this is true.  What
>> EntityManagerFactoryBuilder (the proprietary Hibernate 2-Phase JPA
>> bootstrap SPI) contracts changed in 5.0?
>
> Minor changes so far:
>
> Some org.hibernate.jpa.boot.scan.spi package changes to org.hibernate.boot.archive.scan.spi.
>
> Configuration.USE_NEW_ID_GENERATOR_MAPPINGS is now AvailableSettings.USE_NEW_ID_GENERATOR_MAPPINGS.
>

>> As for Jandex version, 5.0 is not using Jandex.  We accept a IndexView,
>> but we currently do not use it.  So that actually should also not cause
>> any issues in regards to Hibernate 4.x or 5.0
>
> We are not passing the IndexView in currently (we could if that becomes important in the future, as long as we don't keep a reference to the JandexView after the EMF is created).  I don't think that would be helpful though as you need changes for XML file handling I think.

That should be the eventual goal. We don’t want to process all classes for annotations N times for every framework that wants to read them, as it hurts deployment time. We had this before, we really need to bring it back.

>> As far as using the standard JPA bootstrap SPIs, I agree this is up to
>> Scott.  But it simply will not work for the way WildFly does stuff as I
>> understand it.
>
> This is really the first time that I have heard a complaint.  I think its a timing issue, that people (like Sanne) have work to do but cannot get to it until WildFly switches to Hibernate 5.0.

We tend to update to the latest hibernate revs very quickly, so I haven’t seen much either, and so it might not be worth “supporting". It’s usually supporting old versions of hibernate that comes up, but I think thats largely been addressed (we have integrations for 3 etc).

> [...]
>>     >>>>>> ... 10 more
>>     >>>>>>
>>     >>>>>> Remarks:
>>     >>>>>>  - it's attempting to load the "application:main" module?!
>>     >>>    that's not
>>     >>>>>> what I'd expect from reading [1]
>>     >>>>>
>>     >>>>> This seems to be a bug.  I hit it a few days ago when I packaged
>>     >>>>> Hibernate ORM 4.1.x with an application (in a unit test) and
>>     >>>    forgot to
>>     >>>>> set the persistence provider in persistence.xml.
>>     >>>>>
>>     >>>>>>  - the provider should be available to the deployment
>>     >>>    classpath, so
>>     >>>>>> I'm not sure why it's not finding the Provider? (I'm even
>>    exporting
>>     >>>>>> it, although I'm not sure if that was required).
>>     >>>>>
>>     >>>>> Providers are always found through the
>>     >>>>> javax.persistence.spi.PersistenceProviderResolver, not directly
>>     >>>    from the
>>     >>>>> deployment classpath.
>>     >>>>>
>>     >>>>>>
>>     >>>>>> Any suggestions to get this running please?
>>     >>>>>>
>>     >>>>>> Also I wonder if some of these should warrant opening a JIRA,
>>     >>>    but I'm
>>     >>>>>> not sure how far I misunderstood the intentions of these JPA
>>     >>>    deployer
>>     >>>>>> properties.
>>     >>>>>
>>     >>>>> Lets talk in a few days again on IRC.
>>     >>>>>
>>     >>>>>>
>>     >>>>>> Thanks,
>>     >>>>>> Sanne
>>     >>>>>>
>>     >>>>>> [1] -
>>     >>>
>>    https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY9/JPA+Reference+Guide#JPAReferenceGuide-Persistenceunitproperties
>>     >>>>> _______________________________________________
>>     >>>>> wildfly-dev mailing list
>>     >>>>> wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org
>>    <mailto:wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org>
>>    <mailto:wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org
>>    <mailto:wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org>>
>>     >>>    _______________________________________________
>>     >>>    wildfly-dev mailing list
>>     >>> wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org
>>    <mailto:wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org>
>>    <mailto:wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org
>>    <mailto:wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org>>
>>     >>>
>>     >>>
>>     >> _______________________________________________
>>     >> wildfly-dev mailing list
>>     >> wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org <mailto:wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org>
>>     >
>>     > wildfly-dev mailing list
>>     > wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org <mailto:wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org>
>>
>>    --
>>    Jason T. Greene
>>    WildFly Lead / JBoss EAP Platform Architect

Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat