[wildfly-dev] Using a custom module to preview "next-gen" Hibernate versions on WildFly 9

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Thu May 28 12:06:31 EDT 2015

> On May 28, 2015, at 10:59 AM, Scott Marlow <smarlow at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> On 05/28/2015 11:47 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
>>
>>> On May 28, 2015, at 10:26 AM, Scott Marlow <smarlow at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> One issue for the Hibernate projects like Search, is that they need Hibernate 5 to be included in WildFly, so they can start integrating with Hibernate 5 (with the understanding that WildFly 10 will include Hibernate 5).  Part of this effort of integrating Hibernate 5, will be passing the various TCKs (from standalone JPA 2.1 TCK to EE TCKs).  Once we have some TCK runs with Hibernate 5, we will have a better idea of how much work is remaining on the Hibernate ORM 5.x side.
>>>
>>> From a scheduling point of view, I'm not sure what will be done by August.  We can either merge components changes in before they are known to pass all TCK tests or wait until they are ready. Since we are short on time, I wanted to pass the TCK tests before (merging Hibernate 5.0 into WildFly 10) but am flexible on that if the schedule could be flexible also.
>>
>> I liked your idea on HipChat. You could create a JPA branch and get it far enough along to run the JPA tck tests on it, and in the meantime everyone could fork that branch as needed for their development branches. Once we get promising looking results the branch can be converted into one or more PRs.
>
> This works for me, I mostly just wanted to get the Hibernate concerns about the schedule on the table (if there are any concerns).  The only one that I know is that they would like Hibernate 5 support now, so Hibernate non-ORM projects can target WildFly now.

I agree that we need the TCK picture before we merge. If there are a few minor failures thats fine, we can merge while those are being sorted out. The important thing would be to catch any major issues so that they can be addressed in time.

Does 5 have significant TCK impacting changes? I heard there was work on a new query engine, but don’t remember if that was for 5 or the future.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat