[wildfly-dev] Permissions for Arquillian in test deployments

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Sep 3 11:28:25 EDT 2015

I don't have much of a comment re: the Arquillian issue, but for the
WFCORE ones the deployments need to have a permissions.xml that lets
them function. Those aren't a case of the test client logic being mixed
in with the deployment logic.

Altering the 'default' permissions by adding such permissions to the
minimum-permissions set in security-manager subsystem sounds wrong, for
the reasons Stuart describes in his "Adding permissions to tests" thread
today. It's more likely to mask real problems. That kind of change would
need to be done and reverted via a ServerSetupTask for each test, so it
doesn't have a large advantage in terms of ease of implementation.

BTW if any of the tests in full are not @RunAsClient but could be, they
should be changed. But if there are only 27 relevant tests, the odds are
good the bulk of such tests have been fixed.

On 9/3/15 7:47 AM, Ondrej Kotek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am investigating failing tests in WildFly and WildFly Core testsuites [1,2] when security manager is enabled.
>
> There are test cases using org.jboss.as.arquillian.container.ManagementClient in non-runAsClient mode. While running with Java Security Manager without AllPermission assigned, the test cases fail. This is caused by insufficient permissions assigned to deployments -- deployments require permissions that Arquillian uses to create connection for ManagementClient, e.g. read FilePermission for modules/system/layers/base/org/jboss/xnio/nio/main/* (XNIO module), connect,resolve SocketPermission, * * MBeanPermission, getClassLoader RuntimePermission.
>
> There are probably about 27 such tests ([1,2] and other related issues).
>
> Adding permissions for Arquillian to a deployment could mask bugs related to such permissions. The demand of permissions for Arquillian should be shielded by Arquillian. Is it doable?
>
> In case it is not doable, there are several other ways how to solve adding permissions for Arquillian:
>    * Adding such permissions to minimum-permissions set in security-manager subsystem
>    * Adding such permissions to each permissions.xml
>    * Creating a custom permission containing such permissions and adding it to each permissions.xml
>
> Which one do you consider the most correct? Or, is there another way?
>
> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-5169
> [2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-848
>
> Thanks,
>
>   Ondrej Kotek