[wildfly-dev] Powershell scripts

James Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Tue Sep 29 16:37:03 EDT 2015

I don't know anything about PowerShell scripting, so I'm okay with it as
long as the behavior is the same.

The one concern I do have is with the --background bit. We do create a PID
file for the LAUNCH_IN_BACKGROUND, but it doesn't make sense to me why we
do. That's off topic for this though :) We don't seem to use these files
for anything so I just don't see the point in creating them.

Anyway, the whole PID thing I think needs to be thought about. With the
current behavior in the bash scripts it doesn't exit until the background
process has been stopped. I can't really tell what the PS scripts do with
the launch in background. Does the script exit or pause until the process
is exited?

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 8:29 AM, Tomaž Cerar <tomaz.cerar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>

> just heads up, I've managed to prepare[1] all powershell scripts to
> replace the aging .bat ones.
>
> New scripts unify most of the shared "code" that all scripts use by
> including common.ps1,
> and each script only has the code that differs from common behavior they
> all share.
>
> As result of move we now have much more reliable and faster scripts that
> share common code,
> which helps with maintaining a lot.
>
> New scripts (domain.ps1 & standalone.ps1) now support --background (also
> controllable via .conf.ps1)
> option that runs the process in background and remembers its pid and as
> such add support for
> feature that until now was only in *nix version of scripts.
>
> I would like to propose this PR for inclusion to WildFly 10. As it doesn't
> alter any existing behavior
> but just adds & improve the script experience on Windows.
>
> As we get to test and verify that new scripts don't break/include any
> currently available option/action
> I would also like to remove the batch scripts[2], so they would just do
> call out to their .ps1 counter parts.
>
> Once this scripts get merged, I will send PR to also add PS scripts for
> WildFly full defined scripts,
> given that most of the functionally is already in "common.ps1" new scripts
> will be just simple 5 liners [3]
>

> --
> tomaz
>

> [1] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/pull/1118