[wildfly-dev] trying to run subsystem extension in host controller

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Mon Apr 25 15:29:02 EDT 2016

Thanks, Kabir! Some comments inline:

----- Original Message -----
[chomp]
> > But now the problems - my subsystem registers itself with a few service
> > dependencies that do not exist at the time my service is initialized -
> > specifically:
> >
> > jboss.naming.context.java
> > (o.j.a.naming.deployment.ContextNames.JAVA_CONTEXT_SERVICE_NAME)
>
> This would be installed by the naming subsystem, which is not a host capable
> subsystem. So there cannot be any jndi on a HC at the moment.

I'm pretty sure I won't need this as my later comment mentioned. So don't worry about this for now.

[chomp]
> > jboss.server.environment
> > (o.j.a.server.ServerEnvironmentService.SERVICE_NAME)
> This would only be available in a server. However, there is no corresponding
> service in a host controller to get the HostControllerEnvironment. Perhaps
> we should add one https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFCORE-1506.
> >
> > jboss.as.server-controller (o.j.a.server.Services.JBOSS_SERVER_CONTROLLER)
>
> In a HC you need to depend on the DomainModelControllerService instead, it's
> name is in DomainModelControllerService.SERVICE_NAME.
> Both services contain a ModelController, you will need to choose the name to
> depend on according to the process type.

This brings up another question. How does my subsystem know what the process type is? Is there an API or other way to know if it is deployed in a Host Controller versus a Standalone server (and I suppose you'd need to know if its in a Domain Controller, too)?

[chomp]
> > jboss.outbound-socket-binding - my subsystem needs to talk to an external
> > server and this defines what host/port that server is on
> I'll look at adding this to WildFly. If this needs backporting to EAP 7.0.x,
> please let us know so we can put it into the process.

I will let you know about backporting. Not sure yet if we need it.