[wildfly-dev] question 2 sec boot time of WISE

Jason T. Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 19:12:13 EDT 2016

> On Aug 31, 2016, at 4:51 PM, Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> For example the GWT app could be mostly client side, with no GWT-RPC
>
> That part is still involves a deployment though, right? Even if it’s just like HAL and just static files, making it downloadable means either a deployment or some custom integration into the undertow subsystem. The alternative is to make it a special context on the management http interace like we do for the HAL console. Or one way or the other make it part of HAL. But my impression of this app is despite the bit of integration into HAL, it’s not really a “management” app and is meant to be usable outside of HAL. A "dev-ops" admin may use it, hence the integration with HAL, or a “dev" may use it, but a classic “ops” admin is not going to use it and we don’t want to force the “dev” user to be given admin permissions in order to use it.
>
> If the downloadable part is a deployment but also an patchable official part of the software we for sure don’t want it deployed via the deployments/ folder.

By deployment I was referring to going through the deployment process, and registered as a deployment node, in order to start. With client side JS it's just static files and trivial to install wherever is desired. For example, the subsystem could register a handler as part of the server, or the web services subsystem could register a handler as part of a *user* deployment (a special opt in sub URL) or it could be a direct HAL plugin, or yet another app on 9990 and thus usable on a DC.

As to roles, sure I doubt a standard admin would do much with this. I could maybe see  an operator perhaps verifying service functionality, or perhaps troubleshooting. It definitely seems more of a development use case. In a pure client side solution you aren't really introducing the need for a permission per se because it runs straight from the client browser, with no management API interaction other than discovering the port.

On the other hand i suspect this relies on CXF to generate the client side messages, so perhaps it would be a complex transition.

-Jason