[wildfly-dev] private packaging Javassist jar in Hibernate ORM, so applications can have their own Javassist jar...

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 15:41:07 EST 2016

On 02/11/2016 03:02 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
> Have you considered a 3rd alternative, which is to use a custom
> ProxyFactory instead of javassists built in one?
>
> AFAIK the main issue is that javassist proxies require access to the
> 'javassist.util.proxy.MethodHandler|RuntimeSupport' classes. You could
> create a similar org.hibernate interface, and a proxy factory that uses
> this method handler instead.
>
> Basically you just copy the code from javassist.util.proxy into
> hibernate. This is a relatively small amount of code, so it should not
> really add any maintenance burden.

We talked about this as well via [1].  I understand the concept but have
not tried doing this.  I like this approach as well, if it works.  One
of the cons with cloning that Steve Ebersole pointed out (see response
on Feb-03-2016 9:01am), is that that users lose the ability to drop a
different version of Javassist in (since we maintain our own cloned copy
of the Javassist proxy/runtime code).

If we use a private packaged copy of the jars, in order to use a
different version of Javassist, users would have to get a new version of
Hibernate that is built with that different Javassist (as you point out).

I would like to create a HHH jira for this issue that doesn't require a
specific implementation technique, so we can track this issue.

Scott

[1] http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/hibernate-dev/2016-February/014219.html