[wildfly-dev] OSv & Logging subsystem requires org.j.l.LogManager

Dominique Broeglin dominique.broeglin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 05:21:55 EST 2016

Hello!

I’m trying to run JBoss inside OSv (http://osv.io/ <http://osv.io/>). OSv is a kernel as a library. Meaning the JVM *is* both the kernel and the only process that is launched inside the hypervisor VM. That required a few tricks on OSv’s part to make things work. One of them is that, they wrap the LogManager in their own class:

https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv/blob/master/java/runjava/src/main/java/io/osv/jul/LogManagerWrapper.java <https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv/blob/master/java/runjava/src/main/java/io/osv/jul/LogManagerWrapper.java>

Which obviously triggers an error at that point:

https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/blob/master/logging/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/logging/LoggingExtension.java#L147 <https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-core/blob/master/logging/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/logging/LoggingExtension.java#L147>

A few years back there was a thread about : [wildfly-dev] JBAS011592 the logging subsystem requires the log manager to be org.jboss.logmanager.LogManager So I have basic understanding of the issue at hand.

As OSv does not really _replace_ the LogManager with their own but merely wraps it. I thought I could try to just remove the above check and see how far I could go. And actually, wildfly seems to start without an issue. However, I’m not sure it will not cause issues down the road.

Could somebody help me assert if this wrapping can cause issues ?

Thanks in advance,
Dominique