[wildfly-dev] (transaction enlistment for ACID but none for BASE...) update on WildFly NoSQL prototype integration...

Gunnar Morling gunnar at hibernate.org
Wed Jul 13 13:16:54 EDT 2016

Hi Scott,

I had a short look at the tests you pointed to; in the one using BMT, why
is it that the UserTransaction *and* the Neo4j TX API are used? I'd have
expected it to be only one *or* the other?

In the one using CMT, there are also calls to the Neo4j TX API which
apparently are ignored. What's the rationale behind that? Wouldn't it make
more sense to raise an exception, similar to when
EntityManager#getTransaction() is invoked for a JTA entity manager?

In the CMT case, did you consider to inject the Neo4j Session instead of
Driver into the bean, again akin to injection of JTA entity managers?

All in all, I'm wondering whether things couldn't be handled analogous to
the usage of entity managers:

* For a JTA-enabled NoSQL persistence unit, obtain the Session via
injection (its lifecycle is controlled by the container and bound to the
managed transaction), any manual interaction with the Neo4j TX API is
forbidden, instead the container manages transactions or the user is (via
UserTransaction)
* For a non-JTA-enabled NoSQL persistence unit, obtain the Driver via
injection, and the user is in charge of Session lifecycle and transaction
control

I hope that'd make sense for actually transactional stores such as Neo4j,
for non-TX stores such as MongoDB thinks look different.

--Gunnar