[wildfly-dev] One Doc to Rule Them All

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 17:23:31 EDT 2016

Practical tip:

tl;dr;

Don’t include the Confluence space prefix in the markup for cross document links.

Long version:

An issue with using a "live / always up to date doc” is I expect we’ll want to snapshot it when we do releases, at least for majors. The way confluence creates links between pages can work against that though.

But this can be mitigated with careful work.

Say I want to create a link in the “Admin Guide” page to the “RBAC” page. The little “link” icon at the top left of the editor helps me do that. The problem is it creates markup like this:

[WFLY:RBAC]

That link will be a problem when we create a snapshot of the docs for WildFly 11 since in the snapshot it will still say “WFLY” and the effective URL wll be

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY/ <https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY/>RBAC

and not the WFLY11 snapshot URL:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY11/ <https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/WFLY11/>RBAC

Anyone following the link will get directed to the then current docs, which may have inaccurate information for WildFly 11. (Right now our docs have the opposite problem that James mentioned on this thread; the WFLY10 docs are a copy of WFLY9 which was a copy of WFLY8 and when those copies were created a bunch of links pointing to [WFLY9:xxx} or even earlier were created.)

Avoiding this problem just takes a bit of care though. If you use the link button, edit the resulting link test to remove the “WFLY:" space prefix, resulting in

[RBAC]

With that syntax the link becomes relative to the current document’s space, and when that space is copied the copies will also have relative links.