[wildfly-dev] Elytron Subsystem Review

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Mon Jun 6 09:00:21 EDT 2016

On 06/06/16 13:51, Jason T. Greene wrote:

>> On Jun 6, 2016, at 7:13 AM, Darran Lofthouse <darran.lofthouse at jboss.com> wrote:
>>
>> At some point (unless Jason agrees core does not need the subsystem)
>
> Did someone make that argument?
>
> It seems to me it has to be in core because it replaces security realms?

As it stands today the Elytron subsystem is optional until the point
where you release a distribution that you want to secure using it.

So core contains the Elytron module and references items from the
Elytron subsystem as capabilities.

The legacy security realms are going to be staying around for a while
allowing either new or old to be used.

WildFly on the other hand could pull in the Elytron subsystem and
contain default configuration for the feature packs entirely backed by
Elytron.

So really do we have a requirement at the moment to release a
distribution based on core?  From what I hear many other distributions
still slim WildFly rather than add to core.

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.