[wildfly-dev] Managed exploded deployments

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Fri Jun 10 09:38:26 EDT 2016

Emmanuel Hugonnet has been working on a long requested feature to have
WildFly support "managed exploded deployments." We have a requirements
analysis doc for this at https://developer.jboss.org/docs/DOC-55497 and
I just wanted to point that out to the list so anyone interested can
have a look, and comment on this thread or on the document.

A managed deployment is one where the user provided content is copied by
the server/host controller into its internal content repo and then
thereafter that copy is what is used. I estimate that 99%+ of all zipped
deployments in WildFly are managed. With an unmanaged deployment the
user provides the server with the local FS path to the content and then
the server directly uses that content. All exploded deployments are
unmanaged, as we don't support managed yet.

We propose to add 5 new operations to the deployment resource:

explode (to convert and archive deployment to exploded)
add-content
update-content
remove-content
read-content

There is one "nice-to-have" requirement listed on the doc where I'm
increasingly thinking it needs to be a hard requirement, so thought on
this are appreciated:

"The explode operation can take an optional path parameter, the value of
which is a path within the deployment that should be exploded.
     * The use case for this is scenarios like an exploded ear that
contains an unexploded war, and then the user later wishes the war to be
exploded.
     * This is much closer to a hard requirement if the nice-to-have
requirement for recursively exploding is not supported.
     * This operation will fail if the content referred to by the path
parameter is already exploded or is not a zip file.
     * This operation will fail if any content between the root of the
deployment and the content referred to by the path parameter is an
unexploded archive.
         * So,
/deployment=foo.ear:explode(path=/thewar.war/WEB-INF/lib/thejar.jar)
would fail if thewar.war hadn't previously been exploded."

Senior Principal Software Engineer