[wildfly-dev] Wildfly Provisioning

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 18:27:51 EDT 2016

That’s a good question. We never specified what happens in sibling relationships with conflicts. Not everything can form a perfect inheritance hierarchy, so we need a strategy to deal with the problem. My thinking is to follow install order. So we would say hierarchy is the first preference, followed by install order of the feature pack.

> On Jun 14, 2016, at 10:42 AM, Kabir Khan <kabir.khan at jboss.com> wrote:
>
> "It should be possible for a layered product to modify and override the base installation."
>
> Can there be more than one layered product? If they are, are they "siblings", or on top of each other? If they are "siblings" and two override the same thing, who wins? I think if they are on top of each other, then there isn't really a problem.
>> On 14 Jun 2016, at 16:40, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> One server at a time. The multiple locations thing basically means that unlike yum etc it is possible to install two instances in different locations. Actions taken by the till only apply to the current location.
>>

>> On Tue, 14 Jun 2016, 22:31 Ken Wills <ken at zaptillion.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 3:53 AM, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Recently a few of us had a meeting to discuss a new provisioning/patching system for Wildfly. I have written up the notes for this meeting which are at [1].
>>
>> The document contains the full details, but the basic idea is to design a provisioning/patching/package management system for Wildfly and downstream products. This will not be based on our existing patching or feature pack code, but should take over the responsibilities of both.
>>
>> Obviously this is still in the early stages, and any feedback is welcome.
>>
>> Stuart
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/stuartwdouglas/wildfly-provisioning/blob/master/docs/src/main/asciidoc/design-doc.asciidoc
>>
>> Hi Stuart,
>>
>> Thanks for the doc!
>>
>> It wasn't quite clear to me from the 'Multiple FS Locations', section, but would the provisioning tool take a list of installed servers and attempt the same operation on them all (for example applying a the relevant patch to each individual server), or is it expected to operate on one server at a time?
>>
>> Ken

Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat