[wildfly-dev] WFCORE-1405 - Notification Registrars

Kabir Khan kabir.khan at jboss.com
Wed Jun 15 17:19:56 EDT 2016

I have written up analysis/design notes for the new notification registrar mechanism at https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/DesignNotesForAbilityToRegisterAListenerintegratedWithTheManagementLayerThatWillBeNotifiedOfTheLifecycleServerEventsNotificationRegistrars

My main doubt is about the usefulness of the NotificationRegistrarContext.getModelControllerClient() method. The NotificationRegistrarContext is used by NotificationRegistrar.registerNotificationListeners(), which in turn is called by a service's start() method. The service is installed by an add handler. Is my memory of calling the ModelControllerClient execute methods at this stage a bad thing correct? I mention that the MCC can be cached for later use by the handlers, which on one hand I think should be ok since the handlers are executed on asynchronously, but on the other hand having notification handlers mess around with the model seems a bit strange as well.