[wildfly-dev] Hibernate & Spring Boot on WildFly

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Mon Jun 20 18:45:32 EDT 2016

On 20 June 2016 at 17:44, Tomaž Cerar <tomaz.cerar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 6:37 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Beyond helping the specific question, do we have a general set of
>> tests or recommendations - maybe some example template - for Spring
>> Boot users on WildFly?
>

> I would say that if users want to go spring full way, aka make spring mange
> hibernate/jpa stuff
> they should disable jpa subsystem all together as it will make it easier for
> them.

Right I would suggest the same, but how can one disable it?
The only options I know of to control Jipijapa are read from the
`persistence.xml` resource file, which is missing in these cases as
the Persistence Unit will typically be configured via some alternative
strategy. The irony ;)

> Problem only occurs when they want to use "hybrid" approach and use some
> spring & some EE
> in combination that can cause issues and is harder to get right wrt deps &
> configuration.

Spot on. This is why I'm interested, I think we could improve some things..
For example, as previously suggested on this list: one step would be
for us to inspect the deployment and avoid injecting dependencies for
things which are already included in the archives.. people will never
master all the exclusion rules on Maven correctly, especially if the
app server does some undocumented magic with dependencies.

A very simple thing I'd like to do, is to not automatically add the
module dependency for Hibernate when clearly an Hibernate
implementation is included in the user's deployment. [This is just a
wish though, as I doubt I'll have time soon to actually work on this].

BTW exploring more on SO today, I found there's actually quite a
population of people trying to get Spring Boot working on Wildfly.

Thanks,
Sanne