[wildfly-dev] can we get host controllers to push out subsystem extension modules?

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Mon May 2 15:30:35 EDT 2016

On 5/2/16 2:16 PM, John Mazzitelli wrote:
>> BTW, I was brainstorming a bit in that last paragraph, forgetting that
>> I'm talking to someone who works on something that is a proper
>> layer/add-on on top of WildFly, not an end user writing their own
>> extensions. Proper layers/add-ons need to patchable, which adds another
>> whole set of requirements beyond just needing to get bits replicated.
>
> My whole email was a brainstorming session :) I don't think we'll need that feature - but I was wondering if it did exist. If it did, might have been something to be considered for something, but since it doesn't exist, that makes it easy. ;)

Cool; brainstorming is good. The bit about how extension modules are
already clearly referenced in the config model got me thinking a bit
about other possible similar patterns. Basically any config attribute
whose value is a module name could be annotated by the attribute author
as such and that could perhaps drive module propagation around the domain.

But my vague instinct is there needs to be a distinction of some sort
between stuff that's controlled by provisioning software (like
layers/add-ons) vs end user stuff where we are being asked to help the
user provision their own stuff.

Senior Principal Software Engineer