[wildfly-dev] allow-resource-service-restart=true

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 08:44:18 EST 2016

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 6:00 AM, Rostislav Svoboda <rsvoboda at redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> Not all operations handle the allow-service-restart header
>
> Sure, atm it depends a bit on the underlying service.
>
> @statistics-enabled
> Shouldn't be the goal to enable & disable stats without reload or restart required at all ?

Yes, that should be the goal.

Whether it is feasible depends on the underlying library that is being integrated.

> There are some people/customers which restart or reload their farm of servers only on planned days.
> For example for WS subsystem we can enable and disable without reload required, allow-resource-service-restart is to me just helper to avoid full reload.

+10 to allow-resource-service-restart=true just being a helper for power users or special situations. It’s not something we should be pushing users to use.

It’s not widely supported for the reasons Darran mentioned in his response; it can result in app outages and naive users may not understand that.

I’ve gone back and forth over the years on whether I think it is bad that our allow-resource-service-restart support is so limited. Right now I think it’s a small bit bad, as power users might like more of it. But I don’t think it’s a big deal; we have plenty of other bigger concerns.

> @Reduce reload-required in general
> I think some long-term effort is needed, less reload-required is better for end-user experience.
> This probably needs to be more RFE-ish.

It would be a bunch of things, not some single one. Support for this is dependent on what the underlying library can provide, so it needs to be handled one case at a time.