[wildfly-dev] allow-resource-service-restart=true

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Nov 8 08:50:57 EST 2016

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 6:10 AM, Darran Lofthouse <darran.lofthouse at jboss.com> wrote:
>
> A problem that you quickly run into however is that supporting the
> allow-resource-service-restart is that in a number of cases restarting a
> service will have the effect of restarting half of the application
> server anyway.
>
> As an example if you restart any new security services the chances are
> high that you either trigger a restart of all management related
> services or all application related services.
>
> So sometimes you may want to go one step further and support real time
> updates to the underlying services - however we don't really have a flag
> an administrator can use to say if real time updates should be applied.
> I would imaging some administrators benefit from being able to apply
> management model only changes and coordinate when they actually take effect.

This concern I think would be addressed via a completely separate feature. Get your own snapshot of the config that is not tied to the runtime at all, manipulate it, and publish it when ready.

I also think we are more and more moving to a world where the config is set up offline.

That said, when it comes to reducing reload-required and making more things immediately effective, priority should be given to things where the use case of the admin wanting a live update is more clear. Things related to diagnostics being a good example.