[wildfly-dev] Subsystems changing their own configuration model

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Tue Sep 13 06:46:08 EDT 2016

We would like to allow a subsystem to modify its configuration model by
itself at runtime. The use case for this is that we would like to let a
remote Hot Rod client create a cache on an Infinispan server and making
that configuration persistent across restarts. I understand this is
creating management ops which are orthogonal to the server's.

I guess that in standalone mode this wouldn't be too much of an issue,
with two caveats:
- all nodes in a cluster should apply the changes to their own
configuration, leveraging the model rollback mechanism to handle
failures on other nodes
- new nodes joining the cluster (and therefore with a possibly outdated
configuration) would receive the configuration of caches already running
in the cluster and applying them locally

The real tricky bit is obviously domain mode. The server receiving the
cache creation request would need to delegate it to the DC who would
then apply it across the profile. However this clashes with the fact
that, as far as I know, there is no way for a server to communicate with
its DC. Is this type of functionality planned ?

I have created a document which describes what we'd like to do at [1]

Tristan

[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Create-Cache-over-HotRod

--
Tristan Tarrant