[wildfly-dev] Proposing capabiities at completion time

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Sep 15 08:21:08 EDT 2016

I’m adding wildfly-dev in cc.

Yes, the names of the parameters are ambiguous. And it’s not necessary for them to be ambiguous, as the “alternatives”, “required” and “requires" stuff lets us use clearly named params for different cases:

“attribute” — required=true, alternatives=[parameter]
“parameter - required=true, alternatives=[attribute], requires=[operation]
“operation” - required=false

An alternative is we could just drop all of those. The operation and attribute params are not necessary if the client has already done a read-resource-description or read-operation-description and already knows the value of the “capability-reference” descriptor. Then it could simply be

/core-service=capability-registry:suggest-capabilities(address=[(subsystem=foo),(child=bar)],static-name=org.wildfly.network.socket-binding)
{
    “outcome” => “success”,
    “result” => [
        “http”,
        “https”
     ]
}

When thinking about this we should remember the dot/bracket syntax we allow for updating details of complex attributes via write-attribute:

:write-attribute(name=complex.nested[2].field,value=http)

For the CLI, just passing through “attribute”=>"complex.nested[2].field” is easier as there is no need for it to unpack the ‘.’ and ‘[]' syntax and find the description of ‘field’ and get the capabiity-reference.

For the console, it may be easier to get the capability-reference and pass it instead. Easier than going from some code backing a gui widget and synthesizing "complex.nested[2].field” to pass to the server.