[wildfly-dev] The art, science, and torture of debugging test suite hangs

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Fri Apr 14 10:56:23 EDT 2017

It's really a pain when you are developing a multifaceted change to the
application server and it hangs.  Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can
stick jconsole on there and figure out at least a general idea of what
is going on, or reproduce the problem by running a test, a test class,
or a test module in isolation with debugging turned on.  Sometimes
you're not so lucky, or sometimes the hang happens in the manualmode
test suite where you have to attach a debugger 9,000 times only to find
out that the hang doesn't happen when you do that.

I think we should introduce a new build profile which activates the
remote debugging port, but with suspend=n.  This would allow entire full
test suite runs to be done while allowing debugger to be attached for
exploratory surgery in the event that something goes wrong.  While it's
possible that having debugging activated might actually prevent the hang
you care about, at least there's a chance that something can be done.

--
- DML