[wildfly-dev] read-resource (even with include-runtime=false) iterates over dynamic children

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 14:50:45 EDT 2017

> On Apr 20, 2017, at 12:22 PM, Brian Stansberry <brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I know that internally it’s useful in a number of places to know what children a resource has even without knowing their details beyond their address. If it’s useful internally it seems like it could be useful to outside callers too. I don’t know if HAL uses it.
>
> Removing that data would be a breaking change in our responses. Perhaps we could consider it for the :read-resource(include-runtime=false) case since the user has explicitly said they want things excluded, but for non-recursive :read-resource() (i.e. include-runtime=true) that would be a bigger problem with no way for users to get the data without using recursive=true.
>
> Regardless of that, having management resources represent remote objects is problematic for JMX. All management resources, dynamic or not, are available via JMX. MBeanServerConnection.getMBeanCount() and various uses of queryNames and queryMBeans with ObjectName patterns as the param result in needing to access all these resources. I can’t find any JMX API that would make it easy for users to say “except the runtime-only ones” plus I think some users wouldn’t be interested in that kind of thing anyway. I’ve heard of general purpose agent tools that do this kind of thing.
>
> One thought I had as I wrote this is perhaps marking the resources as remote may help. I don’t believe we expose remote resources via JMX, and if we do that sounds like a bug. Up to now, ‘remote’ has been used for the resource for other WF processes in a managed domain, but perhaps the use of the concept could be expanded.
>
> So, we should look into ‘remote’ and maybe all this goes away. :)

I poked a bit and while this may be an interesting thing to explore some day it’s not something practical for WF 11. The handling of ‘remote’ resource types is based on their being no Resource instances for them in the local resource tree, and then a special ManagementResourceRegistration is registered for each individual resource (/host=slave, /server=server-one etc) that proxies any operations addressed to that specific resource to a remote WildFly process. It’s not something applicable to other sorts of usage.