[wildfly-dev] WildFly 11 and JDK9

Tomaž Cerar tomaz.cerar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 09:21:50 EDT 2017

Hey guys,

during development of WF11 we have done lots of work on making it build &
run on JDK9.
as release nears I would like to summarize what the current state is and
how to move on.

Currently most of our core [1] & full [2] testsuite passes on latest builds
of JDK9.
Remaining failures are already addressed by [3] and [4]

**But** passing testsuite on JDK9 is not the same as using our binary
distribution under JDK9.

Currently as part of running build / testsuite we override version of
javassit to 3.22.0-CR2
which is currently the only version that works properly on JDK9.
As there is no .GA version of javassit that work on JDK9 avalible we
currently do not have it as default.

On top of that, hibernate as main user of javassit is not tested enough
with this version of javassist
unless hibernate / JPA team says otherwise.

That would in practice mean that users running WF11 on JDK9 would have
issues with JPA/Hibernate
based applications.

Currently I see two options how to address this:
- upgrade javassist to 3.22.x in server, preferably ask for .GA release.
- produce additional WildFly.x.x.x-jdk9 zip that would include the newer
javassist.

So question is do we even want to have working JDK9 build of WildFly 11
.Final
or should we postpone this for next update release.

--
tomaz

[1]
https://ci.wildfly.org/viewType.html?buildTypeId=WildFlyCore_MasterLinuxJdk9