[wildfly-dev] Analyse the management model

Harald Pehl hpehl at redhat.com
Mon Feb 6 08:44:33 EST 2017

Comparisons are atm only possible by saving the results to a text file
and by using external diff tools. To save the attributes of a resource
one would use something like

MATCH (r:Resource)-->(a:Attribute)
WHERE r.address = "/subsystem=elytron/authentication-context=*"
RETURN a

On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Darran Lofthouse
<darran.lofthouse at jboss.com> wrote:
> If this can do model comparison that could be very useful to double check no
> incompatible changes have leaked in without an appropriate version bump.
>

> On 06/02/17 13:14, Kabir Khan wrote:
>>
>> Very cool. If we could have the neo4j server somewhere central, perhaps we
>> could eventually do the comparisons of model versions from there?
>>>
>>> On 6 Feb 2017, at 11:15, Harald Pehl <hpehl at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> TL;DR
>>>
>>> A tool to analyse the WildFly management model tree using a graph
>>> database.
>>>
>>> # Longer version
>>>
>>> As a heavy consumer of the WildFly management model I've always been
>>> looking for a way to analyse the management model. So I decided to
>>> start a little side project over the weekend. The result is a tool [1]
>>> which reads a (sub)tree of the WildFly management model and stores the
>>> results into a graph database using Neo4j [2]. To get started, you
>>> need a running WildFly and Neo4j instance.
>>>
>>> The tool writes nodes for each resource, attribute, operation, request
>>> property and capability. In addition it creates relationships between
>>> these nodes. You can use the data to
>>>
>>> - get alternatives and requires relations between attributes
>>> - get deprecated attributes and request parameters for one or all
>>> resources
>>> - find attributes which might miss a capability reference
>>> - find inconsistent attributes
>>> - see differences between resources (using external diff tools)
>>>
>>> See [3] for more use cases. I hope this is useful for others as well.
>>> Feedback, suggestions and critics are welcome!
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/hal/model-graph
>>> [2] https://neo4j.com/
>>> [3] https://github.com/hal/model-graph#examples
>>>
>>> --