[wildfly-dev] IPv6 related utility classes in Wildfly / Elytron / ...

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 09:30:47 EST 2017

There are a couple of answers to this.

In https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly-common I've introduced a few IP
address utilities which render IP addresses and perform CIDR functions,
for the EJB client.  It would make sense to have proper IP address
parsing here; in fact this is something I've thought about a bit.

New dependencies are fundamentally OK with justification, but ideally we
want to get good usage out of them.  If we're bringing in a 10MB JAR for
one 6KB class, that is somewhat less than ideal.  Also we'd want
external dependencies to be well-maintained.

In this case my opinion is that the best option is to add IPv4 and IPv6
address parsers into the org.wildfly.common.net.Inet class.

On 02/27/2017 06:23 AM, Tomas Hofman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on an issue in Elytron, which requires validation of IPv6
> addresses. Potentially also normalizing IPv6 addresses and matching
> addresses by masks could be needed in future. For now I implemented my
> own validation code which may be good enough, but still, better would be
> to rely on proven utility class.
>
> Do we use some standard library for such purposes, or is there such
> functionality in JBoss codebase somewhere? I found NetworkUtils class in
> wildfly-network package, which does some of that, but that can't be used
> in Elytron.
>
> Are there some rules when considering new dependencies? For instance
> would Apache Commons Validator/Net represent conceivable dependencies
> for Elytron?
>
> Thanks,
> Tomas

- DML