[wildfly-dev] Deployment Root type other than XML or ZIP

Andrig Miller anmiller at redhat.com
Thu Jan 12 10:43:03 EST 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Brian Stansberry <
brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:

> > On Jan 11, 2017, at 3:38 PM, Stuart Douglas <stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Ah, I guess you could just install an earlier DUP that attaches the
> DEPLOYMENT_ROOT yourself, then DeploymentRootMountProcessor will not run.
> >
> > I'm not sure about the deployment scanner though. I think if you have a
> .dodeploy file it can attempt to deploy anything, however I can't see any
> way to make it deploy arbitrary files without a marker file.
> >

> Perhaps that is for the best. I was thinking about doing the capability
> driven thing you mentioned so people can register other types. But the
> primary point of registering other types would be to register some “file is
> complete” check handler that could be used to confirm that the file is
> complete. Without this deploying without a marker is not safe as the
> scanner can read a partially copied file. I’m not sure any “file is
> complete” check handler is practical for other file types, and if not just
> using the marker is the correct behavior.
>
> Perhaps we could just count on java.nio.channels.FileLock for that, but
> that’s documented as only being advisory and working with a locked file has
> other limitations.[1]
>

> [1] https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/nio/
> channels/FileLock.html#pdep

​This is advisory, because it depends on a specific POSIX API on LInux/Unix
systems, that may or may not be there depending on the underlying file
system.  We ran into this with HornetQ, since it relies on this for its
journal lock for HA.  The GFS 2 file system didn't have this lock​

​so HA for HornetQ didn't work.  We had to implement a native code
workaround to use the BSD based API that was functionally the same as the
POSIX API.  Eventually the GFS team did add the POSIX API.  It turned out,
all the other file systems that have been tested all worked and had the
underlying POSIX API support (including NFS).

Andy​

> > Stuart
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 8:09 AM, Bob McWhirter <bmcwhirt at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > TorqueBox allows deployment of .yaml files. It's pluggable enough.
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 3:32 PM Stuart Douglas <
> stuart.w.douglas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The problem with that is that the majority of the time this would be a
> mistake on the users part (at the moment it is 100% of the time, as we only
> deploy stuff we know how to process).
> >
> > I think that ideally this should be pluggable. It would be easy enough
> to make DeploymentRootMountProcessor handle different file types (for
> instance add an AttachmentList of known REAL file types, and then install a
> DUP before it to add .ddl to the list).
> >
> > Using capabilities and requirements we could probably add something
> similar to the deployment scanner as well, basically your subsystem would
> look for the deployment scanner capability, and if it is installed we could
> have some API to add additional file types (although this may be a bit
> racey, as the service may not know all file types for the initial scan,
> which could give odd results in some circumstances. There is probably a
> solution to this but I can't think of one off the top of my head).
> >
> > Stuart
> >

> > On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 6:51 AM, Ramesh Reddy <rareddy at redhat.com>
> wrote:
> > It would be good if the logic can be changed such that any thing other
> than with extension jar,war,ear and zip to consider them as file based
> deployments rather than zip archive based deployments.

Andrig (Andy) T. Miller
Global Platform Director, Middleware
Red Hat, Inc.