[wildfly-dev] Next version of the management console (HAL.next)

Harald Pehl hpehl at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 09:52:04 EST 2017

We're currently working on the next version of the management console
(HAL.next [1]). HAL.next continues with the column based navigation
which was introduced in WildFly 9. It's also still written in Java and
based on GWT. However most parts of the console have been rewritten
for several reasons:

- Make use of new features in Java 8 and GWT 2.8 and prepare for GWT 3.0
- Introduce new features which were not possible with the old
architecture (keyboard navigation, bookmarks, macro recording, ...)
- Adopt PatternFly [2]
- Cleanup codebase (remove deprecated and unused code)

For more details about the motivation and the complete list of new
features see the README at [1].

Development is still ongoing and we plan to replace the existing
console with HAL.next in WildFly 11 earliest. We have now reached a
milestone where it makes sense to get feedback from a bigger audience.
That's why we like to invite everyone to take a look at the new
console. Suggestions, ideas, comments and bug reports are welcome.
Please use GitHub issues [3] to file issues and discuss enhancements.

To get started, please follow the README [4]. The easiest way is
probably to use the docker image at [5]. It contains the latest
WildFly 11 build with HAL.next as management console.

[1] https://github.com/hal/hal.next
[2] https://www.patternfly.org/
[3] https://github.com/hal/hal.next/issues
[4] https://github.com/hal/hal.next#running