[wildfly-dev] Srcdeps in WildFly and WildFly Core

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Thu Jan 26 06:40:58 EST 2017

On 26/01/17 01:02, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> My only concerns with this would relate to comitting this kind of src dependency to the poms in the main branches in the widlfly/wildfly and wildfly/wildfly-core repos. We’ve managed to survive up to now with little or no need for that kind of thing, so until we get used to using this in other ways IMHO we should follow the KISS principle and forbid that.

I like the idea of this being available for teams working on a topic
branch but also think we should avoid this kind of dependency in master
- engineers are continually running builds so I don't think we should
add additional source checkouts and builds.

I know Elytron has caused huge amounts of instability but generally I
think we want these branches in a state where we could tag if we needed to.

When these downloaded builds are executed are the test cases within also
executed?

> A trick is avoiding doing that by mistake; i.e. a PR is sent up with a SRC dependency to get CI or review and accidentally gets merged. But I suppose that’s not the end of the world, so long as the release process will eventually detect it and fail.

Merging topic branches these temporary SHAs would be in the history but
maybe the PR CI runs could verify they are not present in the final merge.

> Can making srcdeps fail (or just disabling it) be turned on via a maven profile? With that we could set up such a profile and turn it on in CI jobs that are testing branches where it’s forbidden (e.g. the nightly builds of master.)
>
> Oh, one other concern — how robust is this in the face of poor maintenance? I see a lot of boilerplate in that .mvn/srcdeps.yaml. If that gets out of date or something is the only effect that using a src dependency for the affected item doesn't work?

I think that file would be better almost empty but not hidden.

Thinking about the topic branch development, within the Elytron team we
are using some SNAPSHOTs from the official repos and at times we have
forked projects into our incubator and developed against SNAPSHOTs from
those as as you select the SHA for the build you would also need to
select which repository you really want.