[wildfly-dev] A look at Eclipse MicroProfile Healthcheck

David Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Fri Jul 7 11:10:11 EDT 2017

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 7:18 AM, Heiko Rupp <hrupp at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 6 Jul 2017, at 15:00, David Lloyd wrote:
>>
>> Is this a polling-only service, or is there a "push" mechanism?
>
> Right now poll only, basically building the counterpart
> of the Kubernetes/OpenShift health check calls.
>
>> Just brainstorming, I can think of a few more potentially useful health
>> checks beyond what you've listed:
>>
>> • EJB failure rate (if an EJB starts failing more than some percentage of
>> the last, say 50 or 100 invocations, it could report an "unhealthy"
>> condition)
>> • Database failure rate (something with JDBC exceptions maybe)
>> • Authentication realm failure rate (Elytron's RealmUnavailableException)
>
> I think those are internal implementation details and something
> each application needs to come up with good values.
>
> While the HCP can have a detailed payload as above, it is not
> required, and could only return 204 UP or 503 DOWN.
> Kube will not look at the body anyway.

Right I'm thinking of the data that we can feed to the internal health
SPI, not the actual payload of the service (which would presumably be
one implementation of a more general SPI), based on Jeff's
description.

Thinking ahead, it would probably be good if the SPI itself were
agnostic of push/poll unless we can determine that all existent or
likely implementations are poll-only.