[wildfly-dev] Bringing Bean Validation 2.0 to WildFly

Martin Kouba mkouba at redhat.com
Thu Jul 13 05:18:16 EDT 2017

FYI the same applies to Weld 3.0/CDI 2 except that CDI 2.0 and Weld
3.0.0.Final were released already. Right now, we provide a patch for
both WildFly 10.1.0 and 11.0.0.Alpha1 [1].

BTW there is also SWARM-731 [2] - Investigate creation of CDI 2.0 / Weld
3.0 fractions.

Martin

[1]
http://download.jboss.org/weld/3.0.0.Final/

[2]
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/SWARM-731

Dne 13.7.2017 v 10:50 Gunnar Morling napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> <TL,DR>Should we update WildFly to BV 2.0 and Hibernate Validator 6.0,
> or should new modules be added for those, letting the user to choose the
> version to enable?</TL,DR>
>
> The Bean Validation 2.0 spec (JSR 380) is almost done [1], so I'd like
> to discuss how BV 2 and its reference implementation HV 6 can be
> integrated into WildFly. BV 2 will be part of Java EE 8.
>
> I can think of two approaches:
>
> 1) Just updating the existing WildFly modules for BV API and HV to the
> new versions
> 2) Leave the existing modules for BV 1.1 (+ implementation) and add
> separate modules for BV 2.0
>
> 1) would be easier and less effort. But I'm not sure how feasible it is,
> in case that WF should remain Java EE 7 compatible for the time being.
> Also, while BV 2 is fully backwards compatible at the spec-level,
> Hibernate Validator amends the spec API with some extended
> functionality. In that extended HV-specific API some changes were
> required, mostly as previous experimental features were replaced by
> equivalent standardized functionality in the BV API.
>
> 2) would let the user chose between BV 1.1 and 2.0, but it'd entail some
> more work:
>
> * A place for that configuration is required. I think it could be done
> similarly to JPA, i.e. via a property with the module name in
> META-INF/validation.xml
> * Depending on that configuration, the right set of modules needs to be
> enabled. Several modules currently have a fixed dependency to the
> "org.hibernate.validator:main" module (e.g. JPA, Weld, JCA, RestEasy)
> which would have be made more dynamic, based on the version chosen by
> the user.
>
> What does everyone think on this? And what could be a suitable WildFly
> target version for such change? Could we aim at incorporating BV 2.0
> into WF 11?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Gunnar
>
> [1]