[wildfly-dev] Component upgrade window callback

Tristan Tarrant ttarrant at redhat.com
Fri Jul 28 04:33:16 EDT 2017

Jason,

I guess I'm not the only one who feels that the WildFly development
process has become excessively opaque:

- no regular tags from the development branch. There was an Alpha1
release which was announced only on Twitter with no real release notes
(nobody is going to look at an arid list of Jiras) and nothing on the
wildfly.org site. Without milestones releases it is difficult to plan
checkpoints for testing integration.
- no public high-level roadmap on wildfly.org. Again, Jira is really for
the consumption of the core developers, not for the wider community. I'm
sure Elytron is not the only thing that is landing in WildFly 11 aside
from the usual slew of component upgrades.
- no blogging on any new features / changes / designs.

Tristan

On 7/28/17 4:06 AM, Jason Greene wrote:
> We usually launch a call at the start of the release for suggestions of features of significance, including notable updates. 11 has been focused on the Elytron work that was set aside on the back burner for 10, and for 10.1 we decided to target out of the box HTTP/2. In the hibernate case Scott M usually coordinates major updates with Steve, since he usually has to update the integration code. We want to make two major improvements though:
>
> 1) Less time between releases (speed them up a bit more) - hopefully reducing the friction for getting updates in
> 2) We have a provisioning project that is underway, which will facilitate the ability to have overlaying update feature streams, so that, for example, the hibernate project could have a “latest” stream that users could subscribe to (Although we would like for WildFly master to still stay current, as long as there is a plan for how compatibility is handled)
>
> -Jason
>
>> On Jul 27, 2017, at 11:16 AM, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> In the past, the Hibernate team has missed quite a few Wildfly upgrade trains or had to run alongside to jump in it while it was taking off. I’m sure other components are in the same boat. The main problem is that we don’t really have a clear signal saying component upgrade window opened until date yyyy-mm-dd, or if it exists we are not watching it.
>>
>> Since our objective is to get the latest and greatest of our tech in Wildfly as soon as possible, I wonder if we can put in place some kind of callback process to know when we should get our act together is a less stressful way.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Emmanuel

> Jason T. Greene
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat