[wildfly-dev] Speeding up WildFly boot time

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Tue May 16 09:59:05 EDT 2017

Excellent idea!

> 1) A hard coded list of class names that we generate before a release
> (basically what the hack already does), this is simplest, but does add a
> little bit of additional work to the release process (although if it is
> missed it would be no big deal, as ClassNotFoundException's would be
> suppressed, and if a few classes are missing the performance impact is
> negligible as long as the majority of the list is correct).

Could the list of class names be read from the server configuration?
I assume that would likely defeat the purpose of pre-loading these
classes, as we would to then wait until the server configuration is
read.  Perhaps an alternative could be allowing a system property
setting to override the class list.  I am thinking that users might
want some influence over which classes are pre-loaded so they can
prune the list and also add to it.

> 2) Generate the list dynamically on first boot, and store it in the temp
> directory. This would require the addition of a hook into JBoss Modules to
> generate the list, but is the approach I would prefer (as first boot is
> always a bit slower anyway).

I like this best but also wonder how users would deal with updating
the list, if they know it should contain a different set of class
names.  Perhaps they could know to delete the list from the temp
directory, at the right time (e.g. after stopping the app server but
before starting the app server again).

If we do add a system property for allowing the user to specify the
list of classes (or perhaps name of file that contains the list), IMO,
I think that system property should override the list that we generate
in the temp directory.