[wildfly-dev] [infinispan-dev] WFLYTX0013 in the Infinispan Openshift Template

Tom Jenkinson tom.jenkinson at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 10:32:48 EDT 2018

On 16 April 2018 at 09:31, <> wrote:

> Adding +WildFly Dev <wildfly-dev at lists.jboss.org> to the loop
>
> Thanks for the explanation Rado.
>
> TL;DR: A while ago Sanne pointed out that we do not set `node-identifier`
> in transaction subsystem by default. The default value for the
> `node-identifier` attribute it `1`. Not setting this attribute might cause
> problems in transaction recovery. Perhaps we could follow Rado's idea and
> set it to node name by default?

Indeed - it would cause serious data integrity problems if a non-unique
node-identifier is used.

> Some more comments inlined.
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian
>
> On Fri, Apr 13, 2018 at 7:07 PM Radoslav Husar <rhusar at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Sebastian,
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec
> > <slaskawi at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Hey Rado, Paul,
> > >
> > > I started looking into this issue and it turned out that WF subsystem
> > > template doesn't provide `node-identifier` attribute [1].
> >
> > I assume you mean that the default WildFly server profiles do not
> > explicitly define the attribute. Right ? thus the value defaults in
> > the model to "1"
> >
> > https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/blob/master/
> transactions/src/main/java/org/jboss/as/txn/subsystem/
> TransactionSubsystemRootResourceDefinition.java#L97
> > which sole intention seems to be to log a warning on boot if the value
> > is unchanged.
> > Why they decided on a constant that will be inherently not unique as
> > opposed to defaulting to the node name (which we already require to be
> > unique) as clustering node name or undertow instance-id does, is
> > unclear to me.
> > Some context is on https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-1119.
> >

> In OpenShift environment we could set it to `hostname`. This is guaranteed
> to be unique in whole OpenShift cluster.
>

> We do this too in EAP images.
To Rado's point, the default is "1" so we can print the warning to alert
people they are misconfigured - it seems to be working :)

> > > I'm not sure if you guys are the right people to ask, but is it safe to
> > > leave it set to default? Or shall I override our Infinispan templates
> and
> > > add this parameter (as I mentioned before, in OpenShift this I wanted
> > set
> > > it as Pod name trimmed to the last 23 chars since this is the limit).

Putting a response to this in line - I am not certain who originally
proposed this.

You must use a globally unique node-identifier. If you are certain the last
23 characters guarantee that it would be valid - if there is a chance they
are not unique it is not valid to trim.