[wildfly-dev] Rename of JIRA "Domain Management" component to "Management"

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Apr 24 22:08:47 EDT 2018

FYI, I've renamed the "Domain Management" component to simply "Management"
in the WFLY and WFCORE JIRA projects. The old name was misleading as it
implied the component is about domain mode, which has never been true.
Probably less than a quarter of work in the component over the years has
been about domain mode, and that percentage is decreasing as we focus more
on cloud use cases.

This has been on my todo list for years now and I'm cleaning off my desk a
bit. :)

In case it's helpful, here's what's covered by this component:

1) The functionality associated with all the WildFly 'kernel' management
resources, i.e. the many resources that are not part of an
extension/subsystem.

2) The Extension API that subsystem authors code against, including the
many helper/base classes they can use.

3) The server boot and shutdown logic. (This could be considered 'Server'
component but in practice it's easier to lump this in with Management.)

4) The basic management client API and the support code for JBoss
Remoting-based remote communication from a client.

5) Domain mode.

Management-related things that are not in this component but which should
be tracked via other component:

A) Client-side issues with the CLI: use the CLI component. (OTOH just
because you used the CLI to produce an issue on the server doesn't mean
it's a CLI issue.)

B) Client-side issues with the web console: use the Web Console component.

C) JMX issues: use the JMX component.

D) Management issues for a particular subsystem: use the subsystem's JIRA
component. If you think there may be a general issue, add Management as
well, but don't skip the subsystem's component.

Best regards,
Brian

Red Hat