[wildfly-dev] Reducing Startup Time and Footprint with AppCDS

Philippe Marschall kustos at gmx.net
Mon Feb 19 14:14:49 EST 2018

On 19.02.2018 15:05, David Lloyd wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 5:12 AM, Philippe Marschall <kustos at gmx.net> wrote:
>> Unfortunately AppCDS is quite hard to use, I don't know if the WildFly
>> project can somehow help to make this easier. One option would be to
>> ship a class list file but I don't know how portable that is. Also as
>> WildFly services are lazy it only a fraction of the required classes may
>> be in there.
>
> What about simply adding *all* the classes (I think there are about
> 78,000 of them) to AppCDS?

That would work in theory. In practice I see two challenges, the output
of cl4cds (the input for dumping the classes) looks something like this:

org/xnio/IoUtils$1 id: 0x00000001007f51d8 super: 0x0000000100000eb0
interfaces: 0x00000001001633d8 source:
/home/user/wildfly/wildfly-11.0.0.Final/modules/system/layers/base/org/jboss/xnio/main/xnio-api-3.5.4.Final.jar

1. all the paths to JARs are absolute, that could probably be solved somehow
2. we somehow have to come up with the class ids, I have no idea where
they come from

Cheers
Philippe