[wildfly-dev] Hibernate 5.3+ module name suggestions...

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Wed Feb 21 18:26:28 EST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 5:47 PM, James Perkins <jperkins at redhat.com> wrote:

> With other Java EE 8 tech previews we handle it by loading the correct
> resource based on a system property. Is this not possible with Hibernate
> for some reason? For example have a look at the javax.validation.api module
> [1].

If we are running in EE 8 mode, the JPA container, should use/expose the
JPA 2.2 SPEC jars, however, either Hibernate ORM 5.1 or 5.3 could be used.
Also, in EE 8 mode, applications should use Hibernate ORM 5.3 by default
but could also Hibernate ORM 5.1.  In EE 7 mode, only the Hibernate ORM 5.1
jars should be available to applications.  I think this should work.  I
have an alternative in mind, if this doesn't work but it has in the past
(e.g. JPA 2.1 container implementation could work with JPA 1.0-2.0
persistence providers).

Since not all applications will want to use Hibernate ORM 5.3 by default
(in EE 8 tech preview), I think we should have a system property way to
change the default JPA persistence provider module name (to be handled by
the JPA container).