[wildfly-dev] Upgrading Bean Validation and Hibernate Validator in WildFly 12

Guillaume Smet guillaume at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 4 07:15:46 EST 2018

Hi everyone,

(posted with the wrong address a few days ago and then stuck in the
moderation queue, please discard the one in the moderation queue)

As mentioned by Gunnar in a previous thread, we would like to upgrade Bean
Validation and Hibernate Validator in WildFly 12.

I created a PR before the holidays:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-9615
(there are some test failures on Linux but I don't think they are related
to the PR as the other builds are passing)

BV 2.0 and HV 6.0 are highly compatible with the previous versions: we
removed a few advanced features marked as experimental as they have now
been included in Bean Validation in another form, but, apart from that, the
upgrade should go smoothly for the users.

We have released HV 6.0 at the beginning of August and it has matured since
then (we are at 6.0.7.Final).

Our migration guide is here: https://developer.jboss.org/wiki/
HibernateValidatorMigrationGuide .

Two important things to note:
- the groupId of Hibernate Validator has changed: it was org.hibernate, it
is now org.hibernate.validator. I added the according banned dependencies
in WildFly to be sure we don't ship both;
- in 6.0.6.Final, we reintroduced some API/configuration knobs that were
removed in prior versions of 6.0. We deprecated them in 5.4 but as WildFly
has never shipped 5.4, we thought it was better to keep them for 6.0 and
remove them later (so that we have at least once WildFly version with the
deprecation).

Apart from the new features brought by Bean Validation 2.0, we worked on
reducing the memory footprint of HV and improving the performances so it
would be nice to bring all that to our WildFly users.

Feedback welcome.
--
Guillaume