[wildfly-dev] RA subsystem: renaming <admin-object> "pool-name" attribute to "name"

Tomas Hofman thofman at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 10:24:54 EDT 2018

The <admin-object> and <connection-definition> elements in resource adapters
subsystem have "pool-name" attribute that looks like it isn't used for
anything, which is misleading for users.

It looks that "pool-name" attribute was intended for functionality that wasn't
implemented. The attributes are only present in XML, and do not exist in
management model.

During resource creation the values are passed into service value objects
(ModifiableAdminObject, ModifiableConnDef), but #getPoolName() methods are not
called from anywhere.

The attributes can't be simply removed because their values are used for
resource addressing, e.g.

   /subsystem=resource-adapters/.../admin-objects=test-a-o:add(...)

will produce

   <admin-object ... pool-name="test-a-o"/>

so some "name" attribute is still needed.

Unless you think that this is not worth having new schema version (or the
intended functionality that requires "pool-name" attrs is planned to be
implemented), I would create new XSD schema version with "pool-name" renamed to
"name" and update the parser. I suppose the new XSD version should be 6.0,
rather than 5.1, no matter how small the change.

Also, AFAIK this change couldn't be backported to released product streams.

The issue where this was raised is https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBEAP-15023

--
Tomas Hofman
Software Engineer, JBoss SET