[wildfly-dev] JIRA: Proposal to make default assignee "Unassigned" for all areas

David Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 10:39:39 EDT 2018

Speaking for myself, I'd rather have issues unassigned because having
it assigned means "do not work on this; someone else is going to".
Then they just sit like that, maybe for years.

I think having a default assignee is hiding the symptom while at the
same time discouraging volunteers from taking issues.  It's even worse
now that we have multiple teams within Red Hat itself who want to work
issues.  I often get emails like "I see that WFLY-xxx is assigned to
you; is it OK if I take it?"  For every one of these, there may be
several (internal or external) where they just give up because the
issue is "assigned", and they just wait forever for someone to deliver
the fix/feature for them.

We see every issue as they are created.  If we don't take an issue at
that time, being honest, are we really ever going to do it?

--
- DML