[wildfly-dev] Proposal to revert component-matrix change

David Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Fri May 4 16:53:03 EDT 2018

I propose we revert the component-matrix change.  This change is
ostensibly to help in the creation of a BOM for the client libraries
and other dependent projects; however, the cost has turned out to be
somewhat higher than expected.

IntelliJ seems to be unable to cope with dependency changes in the
project due to the use of import from the root POM.  This means that
the entire project must be force-reimported from time to time to keep
dependencies up to date, and forgetting to do so can lead to
development issues and lost time.

Also, I've observed that Maven itself does not always correctly
resolve versions anymore, when you're building from a submodule.  I
don't really know why this is the case but I suspect that it's due to
some algorithmic ambiguity when the dependency tree is not linear like
it used to be.

I think that if we need to generate some BOM for use by external
projects, it should be done as a separate step and artifact which
acquires versions from the parent.  I believe we had it this way at
one point, didn't we?

Anyway I think this change didn't work out, and we should undo it
while it's still remotely possible.  WDYT?

--
- DML