[wildfly-dev] Should I fail or should I undefine ?

Emmanuel Hugonnet ehugonne at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 05:28:12 EST 2019

Hello,

I was looking into introducing new metrics and got into a discussion with Jeff about what is the proper way to handle the fact that the
service is missing.

Currently if the JMSBridge is not available as a service then reading any read only runtime attribute fails with a:

{
    "outcome" => "failed",
    "result" => 0,
    "failure-description" => "WFLYCTL0216: Management resource '[
    (\"subsystem\" => \"messaging-activemq\"),
    (\"jms-bridge\" => \"test\")
]' not found",
    "rolled-back" => true
}

So "/subsystem=messaging-activemq/jms-bridge=test:read-attribute(name=started)" will fail in admin-only mode. This feels strange to me as i
would expect an "undefined" result and not a failure. In the same way, trying to get the number of processed messages by the bridge should
return undefined since the bridge is not running. Do we have a rule so that this behaviour is consistent ?

Cheers,

Emmanuel