[wildfly-dev] WFCORE-4807 - Log Routing

James Perkins jperkins at redhat.com
Tue Aug 11 15:02:08 EDT 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 11:57 AM Brian Stansberry <
brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 12:13 PM James Perkins <jperkins at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 9:32 AM Brian Stansberry <
>> brian.stansberry at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW there are 3 options:
>>>
>>> 1) Default on.
>>> 2) Default off, not specified in standard configs.
>>> 3) Default off, but set to on in standard configs.
>>>
>>> The distinction between 1 and 3 is people bringing an existing config do
>>> not see a behavior change.
>>>

>> Yes. What I have locally is a config option. I'm starting to think 3 is
>> the best option.
>>

>>> No matter which we do we should aim to get this in very early in a
>>> release dev cycle so we have time to notice any odd impacts.
>>>
>>> Do you have any thoughts on how we can look for odd impacts?  IIRC the
>>> odd impact would be stuff we expect to appear in the server.log no longer
>>> appearing there.
>>>

>> The only thing I can think of would be creating a deployment with it's
>> own logging configuration and examining the logs. Essentially any time
>> anything is logged with the deployments class loader it would end up in the
>> deployments log configuration. Assuming of course the deployment is using
>> some sort of per-deployment logging.
>>

> I suppose things like the kitchen-sink QS app, maybe a few others, would
> touch enough areas to get a good sense of what would happen.

Ah good call. I could also probably hard-code something and run the test
suite to see what happens as well which is probably not a bad idea.

>> It's definitely a change in behavior which is why I'm starting to think
>> we should default to off.
>>

> Input from people who support WildFly would be good, particularly if we
> have a sense of what messages might move. People doing support know best
> how much hassle it would be if messages were no longer in the server.log.

Yes. That's who I'd really like to hear from. I've seen forum
posts/questions a lot over the years around "why does this not log to my
file" so it would be good to know if what we end up with is sufficient or
not.

--
James R. Perkins