Hi everyone,So, I’ve just hit the famous 65 K methods count and DEX error as a sweet bonus while updating the application to latest Android 6.0-related dependencies.Long story short, I’ve analyzed  dependencies  for the Hawkular Android Client . Important notice—the application is not that big or complicated.Methods count is below.
- Various dependencies: 2445.
- Java & JavaX: 1684.
- Android Support libraries: 12988.
- Android: 3081.
- Google Play Services: 22022.
- Bouncycastle: 10423.
- Spongycastle: 10423.
- AeroGear: 1210.
- Application itself: 1047.
- Total: 65346.This is kind of disappointing. Of course I can start to blame Android Support libraries, but you clearly cannot develop apps these days without using backports and helpers. Google Play Services is a bigger deal. It is a dependency of the AeroGear Push module and you cannot live without it as well, but you can use a modular dependency. I’ve addressed this in an issue  which leads to another one . It was fixed (there is Google Play Services 7.8.0 already though), but not released. Bouncycastle and Sprongycastle are related to security and are dependencies of the AeroGear Store module which is a dependency of the AeroGear Authz module. I’m not really sure I need this at all.
Let’s count again.
- The current application: 65346 methods.
- The application without Google Play Services and Castles: 22478.The application can be (65346 ÷ 22478 = 2.9) times smaller.What do you think about? Is there any chance to ditch these Castle dependencies and release the new Push version?
aerogear-dev mailing list