+1, we should try to get rid of all those warnings about old client stuff in the build. And given we're working on a new minor and that stuff was deprecated in 3.0.x, we could actually think about removing the old client framework.
After slogging through as many bug JIRAs as possible for 3.0.17.Final, I felt like I needed to do something different for a while, so I started looking at non-blocking IO for JAX-RS 2.1. One of the issues I ran into is the servlet version problem. Even though resteasy-jaxrs declares a dependency on servlet 3.1, its dependency on tjws brings in servlet 2.5, which gets in the way of using servlet 3.1. I've done some refactoring:
1) moved everything related to tjws from resteasy-jaxrs to tjws
2) moved all tests (except i18n tests) from resteasy-jaxrs to resteasy-jaxrs-testsuite (so resteasy-jaxrs doesn't depend on tjws)
3) removed the dependency of resteasy-jaxrs on tjws
4) created a dependency of tjws on resteasy-jaxrs
I thought I'd ask for comments before I create a pull request. Two points come to mind:
1) Originally, resteasy-jaxrs-testsuite was created to hold tests specifically related to JAX-RS 2.0 (hence the nextgen packages). The plan was to upgrade all of the old tests to use JAX-RS 2.0 stuff like the new client framework, but it never happened. This might be a good time to do that.
2) I know we've talked about what to do with tjws, but I don't know if we reached a conclusion. This would be a good time to deprecate it, if we're going to do that.
-- Alessio Soldano Web Service Lead, JBoss