[aerogear-dev] PushEE testing POC

Bruno Oliveira bruno at abstractj.org
Mon Jul 15 09:53:07 EDT 2013

Conventional tooling, I mean the common frameworks already existent into
Java environment: JUnit...blah blah blah

If you think is the best and only Spock can solve our testing problem,
it's ok. But to me is hard to maintain 2 languages into a single
project. Java for development, Groovy for testing

If the argument is the BDD syntax, readability. I can achieve the same
with Ruby :)

But if you guys are all comfortable with it, follow your heart if it's
something specific to the push project.

Karel Piwko wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 10:22:37 -0300
> Bruno Oliveira<bruno at abstractj.org>  wrote:
>
>> Do we have a good reason to use Spock instead of conventional tools in
>> Java? Something that only spock can solve?
>
> Spock gives us BDD syntax, which I think is more readable for tests that are
> supposed to cover specifications.
>
> The technical reason to choose Groovy than Java was far superior support to
> JSON, with is used to define content of REST requests. Spock also added far
> better support for parametrized tests.
>
> What do you mean by conventional tooling? Groovy works in IDE (at
> leasts JBDS/Eclipse, IntelliJ), it is compatible with JUnit test runner, you
> can debug tests from IDE, and you can also do the same in setup it using Maven.
> Also, it runs on Travis without any external configuration required.
>
>> Our tests can be written in Java? Maybe I missed the point, but have a
>> project based in personal taste doesn't make sense to me.
>
> For tests that require managing test environment, such as preparing running
> server and running non-mocked tests in isolation, Java is the only language
> where appropriate tooling exists imho. Groovy is a syntax sugar to make it
> nicer.
>
>> I would love to write my tests with rspec and JRuby, which doesn't mean
>> I will start to do it.
>
> I'm not a Groovy fan, to make it clear. But I'm always trying to select the
> tool that fits the purpose the best, and according to the POC sent month ago
> Groovy and Spock was simply the best offering.
>
>> Corinne Krych wrote:
>>> Don't focus on Groovy (if it makes you sad), emphasis is on Spock!
>>>
>>> #HappyPuppy :)
>>>
>>> ++
>>> Corinne

abstractj