[aerogear-dev] Progress on Unified Push Server UI

Matthias Wessendorf matzew at apache.org
Mon Jun 3 13:59:24 EDT 2013

On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Hylke Bons <hbons at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/2013 18:45, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
> > I would treat Cordova native:
> > -Cordova-Android-Variant
> > -Cordova-iOS-Variant
> >
> > Of course, with SimplePush, the apps can receive notifications as
> > well, but the "background" (not actively running), would not be
> > possible (at least now)
> >
> > -Matthias
> >

> So do Cordova hybrid based apps use their respective "native" push
> networks (Apple's/Google's) SimplePush only? (or either?) I guess
> non-hybrid Web apps can only use SimplePush?

I'd use the native Push APIs (GCM / APNs), for my iOS/Android Cordova
variants.

You can use our SimplePush libraries, with Cordova. But.... you would NOT
receive a notification, if the application is not running/open

SimplePush is perfect, right now, for "Mobile Web", and would be fine for
Cordova, where we do (yet) support the native bindings (e.g. BlackBerry,
Windoze etc)

-Matthias