[aerogear-dev] [Unified Push] Java Sender API

Sebastien Blanc scm.blanc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 04:04:35 EDT 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <matzew at apache.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Sebastien Blanc <scm.blanc at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I start looking at the repo. I have some general questions and then more
>> (not that much implementation detailed ;) ) specific  proposals
>>
>> *  Is our final goal to propose an implementation that we really want the
>> developers to use or is it more providing a reference implementation of the
>> sender API and developer will most of the time implement their own ?
>>

> The goal is, to give them a Java Utility to use to for sending. If they
> want, they can still do the HTTP by hand. Ideally we have this "client" for
> other platforms as well:
> * Node.js, Ruby, PHP etc
>

>> * How are we going to secure the API ?
>>

> Once the endpoints are secured, we will leverage that on the client side
> (e.g. function to specifiy the "credentials")
>

>> * The API looks like now "fire & forget", do we plan to change that ?
>>
> It is fire and forget.
>

>> I can imagine that people using the sender need to have some
>> "feedback/return value/response" to manage their flows ?
>>

> Well, we do not really have much control there. Apple, for instance, does
> also not really tell you: "I could not deliver the push message to Mr.
> XYZ". Similar is google.
> They all  have "feedback" service, that's more "here is a list of invalid
> device tokens". This info should NEVER be returned, from our
> Sender-Endpoint.
>
> Other cloud providers do similar: HTTP 200 + "Thanks we got your job, it
> is now being processed by our system"

I agree that we don't have control between "our" systems and
Google's/Apple's networks. But, between our push server and our backend
server, the chance is bigger that the dev has more control. The thing is
that the sender api now "swallow" the http status, just making the http
status available for the backend app using the sender API will be a nice
benefit (there could be no connection between our pushee and our backend
app for instance) ...