[aerogear-dev] Android: Eclipse issue with the "Push"

Summers Pittman supittma at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 10:58:15 EDT 2013

On 06/21/2013 10:46 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM, Summers Pittman <supittma at redhat.com
> <mailto:supittma at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/21/2013 10:31 AM, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:
>>

>>     On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Summers Pittman
>>     <supittma at redhat.com <mailto:supittma at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Eclipse + Maven + Android is a series of long sighs best
>>         avoided.  The idea with the Android project is we declared
>>         the compile time dependencies for the application and they
>>         SHOULD be dropped into your /libs folder after running `mvn
>>         dependency:copy`.  After that Eclipse SHOULD pick them up
>>         correctly.
>>

>>     ah... ok. the "mvn dependency:copy" is missing on the README
>>     (will file a JIRA/PR soon).
>>
>     It isn't in the README, it is in the Eclipse doc.
>
>     https://github.com/aerogear/aerogear.org/blob/master/docs/guides/GetStartedAndroidEclipse.asciidoc#getting-the-source-with-git
>
>     I don't want to muddle up the README with the n! ways of getting
>     AeroGear running ;).
>

> ah... OK. I missed that since I had the build already working, and
> directly went to the "Importing the project into Eclipse" section :)
>

>>         The second half of this is making sure you download the
>>         Android support library.
>>

>>     Ok, not really sure what you mean here
>>
>     It is under the Android Tools submenu of the context menu in Eclipse.
>

> OK, now this resolves fine for the "support" bits, e.g:
>
> import android.support.v4.app.FragmentActivity;   <==== GOOD NOW :)
>

> Let me file a JIRA to include the "Support Lib" on the Eclipse guide.
>
> but still, this does not resovle:
>
> import android.app.Fragment;

Hrm... It needs to be building against 4.0+ to resolve that.  It doesn't
hurt backwards compatibility as long as developers use the right
libraries APIs.

>>         Could you post the content of your libs directory?
>>

>>     pluto:aerogear-android matzew$ ls -la libs/
>>     total 4104
>>     drwxr-xr-x   5 matzew  staff      170 Jun 21 16:24 .
>>     drwxr-xr-x  17 matzew  staff      578 Jun 21 16:24 ..
>>     -rw-r--r--   1 matzew  staff    13662 Jun 21 16:24 gcm-client-3.jar
>>     -rw-r--r--   1 matzew  staff   189285 Jun 21 16:24 gson-2.2.2.jar
>>     -rw-r--r--   1 matzew  staff  1891110 Jun 21 16:24 guava-13.0.1.jar
>>

>>     now.... the google collection dependencies are resolved.
>>
>>     Only that these are now continuing issues:
>>
>>     import android.app.Fragment;
>>     import android.support.v4.app.FragmentActivity;
>>
>>     as well as the "import
>>     com.google.android.gms.gcm.GoogleCloudMessaging;" (and some others)
>>
>     You need to use the Google API's build target instead of the
>     Android 2.3.3 build target.  The docs on aerogear.org
>     <http://aerogear.org> (obviously) havn't been updated for push yet ;)
>

> Hrm "Google APIs [Android 2.3.3]" does not help to resolve "Fragment"
> or "GoogleCloudMessaging" .
>

> For fun, I changed to "Google APIs [Android 4.2.2]". That resolved
> almost all issues, _except
> "import com.google.android.gms.gcm.GoogleCloudMessaging;". That guy is
> still a problem   :-)

Oh ok then :)

GoogleCloudMessaging is provided by the Android SDK.  You need to import
the Google Play Services project into Eclipse and reference the library
from the AG project.  The Services project is in
$ANDROID_HOME/extra/google/google-play-services.